Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Birth Story


I am planning to take part in a challenge by "Mommy's Piggy Tales" -- a challenge to record your youth in 15 posts. Janna will be posting a new journal prompt each Thursday. I think this is a terrific idea. I know my kids always love to hear stories about when I was younger and some of the silly things I did.

Today's post is about my birth story.

I was born during the summer of 1967 -- my mom says it was so hot that summer, and she, being pregnant, felt so uncomfortable. Having a 17 month old running around didn't make things easier for her, I'm sure :-) The 17 month-old was my older sister.

Anyway, I decided to make my first appearance on August 1st, weighing in at 7 lbs 14 ozs. We were living in Springdale at the time, on Cedar Lane. I was born at the Springdale Cottage Hospital.

Mom always said she was hoping for a boy, but she would end up having yet another girl before a boy came along. She named me Carla after my Dad (his second name was Carl), and my second name Penney, which was my mom's maiden name.

I think I was a pretty easy-going baby. From the photos, I know I had a very loving and attentive older sister :-) We still are close now, as we were back then.

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Cool! I'm thinking about doing those challenges too but I'm leary about posting them online anywhere.

Janna said...

Carla,

I'm glad I found your post. If you would like to participate the full 15 wks email me at jannajoy25(at)hotmail.com with your email address and I will also tell you what group to post in every week.

Placing the ladies in groups helps us follow along and encourage a core group of women. I didn't see your link in one of the lists this week. I think they may have closed before you had a chance. Next week just link up both your birth story and your pre-K5 memory in your group.

If you need help linky up just let me know and I'll walk you through it.